In the field

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

06 June 2006 - Session #2 with one of the clients.

In my preparation for case sessions, this is one which I feel most lost about. It seemed that even reading the books that I borrowed could not get me out of this wilderness.

There are books on counseling children, and also about children who have ADHD. But no books (at least I couldn't find them) on counseling children with ADHD.

So here goes. I prepared a simple maze.. with different stations they have to pass through. This apparently wasn't interesting enough for them.

What was challenging...
- Engaging the kids.. At different points I was at a loss. I asked many close-ended questions which obviously could not draw them out much. I need to practise asking more open-ended, non-abrasive questions.

- Picking up non-verbal cues from them. Lyd called in to say they don't feel safe yet, so I should try and engage them more. Hmm, I didn't pick that up. How do you know if they feel safe or not?

- Going deeper into issues using child language. Firstly, I didn't know how deep I could go - mum was around, I wasn't sure what she conveyed to the kids, and if it was ok for me to go deeper. Even with her permission, it was difficult - I don't know what the kids know/don't know. Secondly, I don't know how to go deeper. No skill, no theory here.

- I did not know how to respond to what they say.

Like at one point one boy said "I'm not smart la, I cannot do anything".
[Why do you say you're not smart? What are the things you're good at?]

I also did not know how to respond to their actions. How do I tell them not to throw toys around without being harsh?
[Could you not throw toys around? It's not nice to throw toys around. How would you feel if people throw your toys around?]

Of course, the challenge is also to address the issue there and then. Cos with children, after a remark and they move on, it's really difficult to go back to a particular point.

What is lacking...
- Skills - No proper experience working with children. Like I didn't observe then that one of the boys reacted when mum put them in a difficult position. Also didn't know how to stop her. [Anyway, FL said to affirm and then take charge.]
- Knowledge - I saw theories flying out the window for this session.
- Creativity.. this could be because I don't quite know what would appeal to primary school boys.

What could be done to improve...
- Read up! Think I wasn't systematic in preparing for this session. Just kept thinking about what I should do with the 2 boys. Fear played a part in keeping me unsystematic and confused.
Perhaps I could have organised it this way:
- What stage of development is this boy at? Try Erikson's psychosocial theory of development.
- What are the characteristics of ADHD?
- How should I engage them?

Also, I think watching/observing other experienced workers work with children would help a great deal.

Hmm.. those questions were in my mind when i was trying to read up.. but they just couldn't fit together. Still comes back to limited experience. Felt so undynamic in the room with them.

What was good...
- The fact that I tried reading up. But her son didn't exactly fit the characteristics mentioned I think.
- That I sat on the floor with them at one point. I felt it bridged the gap a little.
- I picked up the client's need for affirmation from her children.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ling,

its good to hear your feedback of the session. I hear that the expectation that you set for yourself is very high. It is likely wanting to do stunts the first day you get on a bike. A lot of what social work is still practise. To built up a repertoire of skills so that you are flexible to move with the child. The first session is most probably the most difficult to plan as you didn't have an understanding of what child might be presenting. I'm sure planning the second session for them will be much easier. I went through much of this as i started doing parenting cases. Take heart kay... I see the effort you put in!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Ling said...

Oh ya. Ok shall be more realistic with myself. Ya! Planning for session #1 is like preparing for 1001 scenarios that may come up.

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home